This recipe is quite easy and very delicious. I first found this recipe while looking for something to bake for a social studies class a few years back. Whenever we finished learning about a certain area we had a day when we would bring in a food from one of the places. I chose Bangladesh and this was one of the recipes I found from there. The cake is soft and very tasty. I’ve made this cake for a wide variety of ocassions. I’ve made it a few times for family gatherings and twice for a birthday. The day of the food presentation one of my friends saw my cake and said that it looked very good and to save some for her. Fortunatly, my cake was a success, my classmates and teachers all loved the cake. One of my teachers even said it reminded her of a cake her grandmother used to make and no one knew the recpe to. Unfortunatley for my friend she didn’t get any that day, but I did make her that cake for her birthday last year and she definetly remembered that cake.
I also made it when I went to my grandparents house. We had gone to visit my great uncle and he happened to have an orange tree. We asked him if we could have some oranges and he happily let us take some. The cake ended up being very good, probably because of the freshly cut oranges.
To make a 10 inch (in diameter) cake you will need:
- 7 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 and 1/2 cups of Self-Rising flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 3/4 cups of orange juice
- Confectioners sugar
Once you have collected all of your ingredients you can begin baking your cake.
- Seperate the egg whites and yolks, placing them in sepeate bowls. Cover both of the bowls and set them aside at room temperature.
- Have a 10 inch pan two piece tube pan and grease it. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Farenheit.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest in a big bowl and beat with an electric mixer at low speed until they are all combined. Then make a well in the center of the four mxture, add the egg yolks, oil, and orange juice annd beat until a smooth batter forms.
- Now take the bowl where you kept the egg whites and whisk them with the electric mixer. In the middle of the whisking add 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to whisk until it the egg whites becom stiff. Then with aa large spatula gently fld thhe egg whites into the batter jst until it’s blended. Pour the batter into the greased pan and place it in the middle rack of yur pre-heated oven.
- Bake the cake for about 55 to 60 minutes. When the cake is done take it out of the oven. Once the cake has cooled run the spatula around the inside of the pan.
You can decorate the cake by spinkling confectioners sugar on the top. It is better to do this when you are about to eat the cake or the sugar wil melt and stick to the cake.